Life has definitely gotten in the way of my hobby. I haven’t had time to log any of my training. I’ve been barely able to find the time to actually do the training.
I’ve got two sons who are graduating from College. One last weekend, one next weekend, which is pretty cool. But is also a big disruption to normal routine. In addition, work is nuts right now. Barely able to keep up with everything.
At any rate, last Saturday, I intended to do 4×2500 starting with r24 and clicking up the rate in each of the pieces, ending up with a brilliant and intense 2500m at head race pace and r30.
It didn’t end up that way. I did the first rep and it was awesome. Turns out it was awesome because I had nice gentle tail wind. When I turned around and started grinding out the next rep into the headwind, I folded almost immediately. I just didn’t have the desire to push that hard. To add some additional verite to the failure, I filmed the whole thing. I’ll be posting video snippets later.
What I ended up doing was essentially a weak willed fartlek.
- 2500m at r24
- 200m at r26 then bail
- 1000m at r26
- 1000m at r26
- 1000m at r26 (with a break in the middle to chat with another rower)
- 250m at r28 just to take some video of myself at that rate
- A slow dejected paddle back to the dock to wallow in my failure.
So, looking at the paces. I think I have a pretty good idea about what the problem is. Even with the tail wind, I was rowing pretty fast at r24. By comparison, last time I did this session (on May 4th). I did the first piece with a tail wind at 2:09.3 and 25.5SPM.
If I want to be able to rate up, I have to lighten up my stroke a bit. Something to work on.
Videos coming later after I get the basic sessions logged.