Saturday: Rest day
Sunday: I was scheduled for a 75′ test, but I liked the idea of getting a ranking distance done. So, I decided to make it a half marathon. Last 75′ test, I was at a 1:59.2 split. Last week, I did a hour of power at r22 and a 1:57 pace. I thought I should probably be able to improve my 75′ pace to around a 1:58.
My plan for the piece was pretty simple. Try to hold 1:57/1:58 on the screen and keep the rate around 23. If I felt like I was getting in trouble, bleed off a pace a bit at a time and try to keep the avg pace below 1:58.
The plan worked. My HR was higher than I expected, but I just tried to ignore it and concentrate on how I felt, my RPE. I felt pretty good, at least through halfway. The second half was tough. My HR was above 175 for most of the second half. By the time I got to 7000m to go, I needed to slow down a bit more and that seemed to stabilize things. I just counted strokes in each 1000m, it was usually 89 to 92 strokes and tried to avoid thinking about how much more time I had to keep going. By the time I hit the 75′ mark at 1:57.9 pace, I knew I was going to make it and I started to accelerate a bit.
The last 1000m was a painful blur.
Workout Summary - media/20171217-1820300o.csv
So, I hit my target for the 75′ fitness test. I’ve updated the results on the google sheet. I started at about 85% of my PR watts at the beginning of this 6 week training block. Now my 20′ test and 75′ tests are both at roughly 90% of PR watts. I’m happy with that kind of progress.
Tomorrow: 4 x 20′ / 3′ nice and slow.