I did a 20′ test as part of a battery of 4 tests back at the beginning of November. At that time, I struggled with the test, aborted an attempt, and then tried again at a slower pace on the next day.
The first attempt, I tried to hold a 1:51 pace and I lasted 6 minutes. In the second attempt, I backed off to 1:53 and it was close to a maximum effort, but I managed to hold that through the piece, finishing with a 1:52.7 pace (5233m, 244W)
Today, based on my recent workouts, especially Monday’s 6x(5’@28,5’@18) workout, I thought that I might have made enough progress to attempt 1:51 again. At least I thought I could give it a shot.
I ended up heading to the gym in the late afternoon. I warmed up with an easy 2K.
Then into the main event. Pretty simple plan. Row at r25 and 1:51 pace. Count strokes in sets of 100 and hope for the best.
It went as well as I could have hoped. I kept the display bouncing back and forth between 1:50 and 1:51 through the first 4 sets of 100 strokes. With 100 strokes left, I was struggling, but the displayed average was 1:50.3. At this point, I gave myself permission to let the splits dance between 1:51 and 1:51. That was just enough relief to get me refocused on rowing well. I got down to 50 strokes to go and I wound back up the speed and counted down to the finish.
End result: 5430m, 259W, 1:50.4 pace
Workout Summary - media/20171213-2225590o.csv
I compared the row in detail to my last attempts.
First, comparing it to the 1:52.7 attempt.
- Pace: this one was faster!
- Rate: Identical
- Power: better today!
- HR: close to identical, but I didn’t push it as high today.
Then I did a cool down.
I’m very happy with this.
Tomorrow: 4 x 20′ / 3′ at 2:06/r18