I decide to make this a separate post so I can find it a bit easier later.
I did a sequence of 8 – 1 minute pieces with a minute or longer rests between. I was rowing at full pressure in each of them.
Video was recorded by gopro camera mounted on a rigger bow stay that was bolted to the tube at the port end of my rigger. It was about 6 feet from the side of the boat.
The HR, rate, time, pace and distance data, along with the little indicator map are driven by TCX data exported from the RIM website. It is merged into the video using software called Dashware (which is now free and the most amazing way to waste huge amounts of time). As far as I can tell the rate data is accurate to what I see on my speedcoach. The pace looks like it is a bit faster than it was on the speedcoach. I only wish I was that fast.
If you look at the video, just look at that water! It was the most beautiful rowing conditions!
Well, I aimed for 18 spm, but I got 19. I was really pretty happy with how this looked. Nice flat plateau during the boat run and recovery. Need to get rid of the hook in thee drive.
Now I’m starting to see a bit of a hump at the end of the recovery. That means that I am rushing into the catch a bit now. The bump in the drive is less, but that is more due to stroke to stroke variation averaging out than an improvement.
You can’t tell from the graphs, but this was the rate that felt the most natural and fluid. The bump late in recovery is getting a bit bigger, though.
The water is so glassy smooth you can see the shoreline perfectly reflected.
This is right after my turn and doing the top quarter drill. I’m rested and full of beans!
Notice now that the acceleration down the slide is actually causing the boat speed to increase during the recovery. I have to work on not doing that.
Now the rate is getting high enough that my form, such as it is, is starting to fall apart.
I’m embarrassed to even post this one and the next one. So much rushing to the catch. Such awful drive mechanics. So much work to do.
The best thing I can say about this piece is that it started under a bridge, which is fun to look at. It is clear that I need to do a lot of work on the basic mechanics of my stroke, because anything good that was happening at the lower rates has largely disappeared.
And just because I like abuse. Here is my rendition of king of the mountain, and the top quarter drill. It ain’t pretty, but I stayed dry!
So, what do I get from all of this? I compared this to some of the rows that I captured in RIM last season and there are some reasons to be happy. Last season, I was showing that ugly hump in the acceleration curve going into the catch, even at low rates. The metrics also showed a long catch duration and lower peak accleration. Comparing video, I think I look a bit better, but that is more than likely just self delusion.
What’s the prescription to get better. I welcome all ideas, here are mine:
- Keep doing the top quarter drill. I feel much more confident at the catch this season and that’s part of the reason why
- Keep doing SBR and feet out to work on getting my finishes better
- I thought I was not laying back very much, but in fact I am and I don’t think it is helping things. I need to finish with a more erect posture
- I need a lot more practice at high rates. I think I will put a few 1′ reps or maybe even 30 second reps at the end of steady state sessions to try to get to the point where I can hold 36 spm reasonably cleanly.