I really enjoyed Sunday. I spent a couple of hours just messing around with my boat. I recalibrated my empower oarlock. I tried setting up the new Quiske Pod and it’s iOS application. And I reinstalled the impeller on the bottom of my boat.
On Monday morning, my training goal was to do some steady state, but the other task was to calibrate the impeller. All season long, I have been unable to do much with the pace reading on the speedcoach because the river current has been higher than normal. I finally decided that remounting the impeller would be better.
But the impeller is a finicky little gizmo. If you don’t have it well aligned with the sensor, you get intermittent readings, if you don’t have it well calibrated, you get wrong readings and if you row in a place with a lot of weeds, it gets fouled. But at least you get rid of current as an error in your data!
So the first thing to do was calibrate. I rowed out to the straight 1000m section, and set up to do a 500m cal. The way the speedcoach does this is it uses the GPS to measure you going 500 and sees how far the impeller has measured. Then you do the same thing in the other direction, over the same exact section of river. The theory is that this will cancel out the effect of the current. Anyway, I did it and it seemed to yield sensible results afterward.
Of course, after I calibrated, I forgot to push “start” on the the speedcoach, so I didn’t log any of the rest of the workout. Have no fear! I had a backup. I was running RIM on my phone.
Workout Summary - media/20181015-164518-115122o.csv --|Total|-Total-|--Avg--|-Avg-|Avg-|-Avg-|-Max-|-Avg --|Dist-|-Time--|-Pace--|-Pwr-|SPM-|-HR--|-HR--|-DPS --|11390|66:03.0|02:54.0|000.0|19.8|0.0|000.0|08.7 W-|11391|66:03.0|02:54.0|000.0|19.8|000.0|000.0|08.7 R-|00000|00:00.0|00:00.0|000.0|00.0|000.0|000.0|00.0 Workout Details #-|SDist|-Split-|-SPace-|-Pwr-|SPM-|AvgHR|MaxHR|DPS- 00|11391|66:03.0|02:54.0|000.0|19.8|000.0|0.0|08.7