I was a bit intimidated by this workout. It wasn’t that I thought I would fail, I was pretty certain that I would complete it successfully. Rather, I was dreading the 17 minutes at marathon pace. In previous attempts at these step down workouts, I dug so deep in the 5kp section that the marathon pace sections were very taxing. My HR stayed high and it was miserably hard work.
I was surprised and delighted today. This workout didn’t feel easy, but I felt really good throughout. My HR was way lower than any workout like this that I’ve done over the past few weeks. I felt so good that I did the last 5 minutes at half marathon pace.
Workout Summary - media/20170202-1405210o.csv
01|02096|08:00.0|01:54.5|233.0|24.3|151.1|158.0|10.8 -target 225-240
02|04137|17:00.0|02:03.3|186.9|21.0|147.3|156.0|11.6 -target 180-195
03|02096|08:00.0|01:54.5|233.4|24.4|155.5|164.0|10.7 -target 225-240
04|04135|17:00.0|02:03.3|186.6|21.4|153.1|163.0|11.4 -target 180-195
05|02099|08:00.0|01:54.3|234.6|24.7|156.7|166.0|10.6 -target 225-240
06|04222|17:00.0|02:00.8|198.8|23.0|161.0|166.0|10.8 -target 180-195
I looked through the metrics.
- A little bit of drive length variation in the last interval
- peak force varying with power
- you can see the same thing in the work per stroke. I was effectively underrating the fast stuff and over rating the slow stuff
- I see more variation in rhythm today. Not sure why
Comparison to the 4 x 15′ (9′ @5kp, 6′ @ mp) workout form earlier this week.
- Same powers, just different durations so it gets a bit confusing after the first rep.
- Nearly identical stroke rates for the faster bits. A bit lower for the slow today (because I felt fantastic)
- The difference in HR is astounding. My HR didn’t go nearly as high in the 5kp sections, and it recovered better in the mp sections.
So, why was it better?
- time of day: nope…same for both
- nutrition state: nope…fasted for both
- amount of sleep: nope…~6.5 hours before both
- temp/humity: nope…same for both
- accumulated fatigue: If anything I should have been worse today. This is the 7th day in a row that I have rowed. This session and the prior one were rowed the day after a low intensity 60 minute endurance session.
So, I am left with random variation and improved fitness. I think there is lot of the former, and a little of the latter.
Tomorrow: Probably nothing. I have an early meeting, and then I head off to the airport for a trip to Korea. I’ll be off the erg for a week. I’m pretty bummed about that, I was just starting to see progress.