Wednesday: 30′ L4 – Flying blind!

I arrived home from Denver around 1AM, so I slept in to 7:30 instead of getting up to workout.  By the end of the day, I was a nervous wreck.  Lot’s of work tension these days.  So, I decided to do a quick 30 minute session to just calm myself down a little.

The session was 5 x 6′ L4 sequences (on slides)

2′ @ 22, 2′ @ 20, 2′ @ 18 at just under 10W x stroke rate, so 170W at r18, 190W at r20 and 210W at r22.

Everything was going fine until I was starting the 4th interval, when the batteries in the PM5 died in dramatic fashion.  By dramatic fashion, I mean that entirely theatrically.  It died and came back to life at least 3 times.  Each time it totally reset the session.  Ultimately with around 8 minutes to go, it died entirely and I was rowing completely blind.  As you can see from the HR plot, I seem to need the feedback because my HR went through the roof as I pushed harder and harder while counting strokes to try to hit the rate.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.56.09 PM

I really needed this workout.  I felt much more relaxed afterwards.


4 thoughts on “Wednesday: 30′ L4 – Flying blind!

    • gregsmith01748 says:

      This was the PM5 at work which I installed about 4 or 5 months ago. This erg does not see heavy use, maybe 2 hours a day, with me being one of the hours. I think the battery life is less than ideal, but not a really big deal. I bet I’ll change the ones at home twice a year. A better solution would be a lithium battery that is charged by the flywheel, but I imagine that that would be a fair bit more expensive.


    • gregsmith01748 says:

      I connect my heart rate monitor to my iphone and use wahoo fitness. I have it set up with an audible alert of my heart rate once every minute. This harks back to the days when I didn’t have a HR display on the erg at work, and I wanted to row to a HR cap. Anyway, I still have it setup that way and I always start my workouts on an even minute, so after the PM5 died, I had the announcements once per minute to keep time. I continued to change rate on every two minutes from the announcements too.

      There was no evidence of any session at all on my phone in painsled after the PM5 died. I suspect that there is a temp file hiding there somewhere, but it’s not in the log on the phone.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s