Conditions: cloudy, upper 50s, light variable wind generally a tail wind down river and head wind upriver. Got sunny towards the end.
The original plan was for a hard 4×2500. But honestly, I just wasn’t in the mood. I’ve gotten so much good feedback on technique that I wanted to do another session at lower intensity trying to work on the things I’m doing wrong. I also had time for a nie long row, so I changed my plan.
New Improved Plan:
- Steady State, R18
- Work on improving my form
- row with good posture. Stop slumping
- clean finishes. Get a good tap down, then feather
- clean recoveries. work on balance and not touching water
- slower and more deliberate squaring of the oars
- accelerate more smoothly from the catch, delay opening my back, maintain posture
- Heart rate cap at 157 (the upper end of my aerobic band)
It’s a lot to keep in mind. What I did today was sort of like a technique fartlek. I would row along and notice that my finishes were messy, so I would do 500m of rowing on the square. Or I would notice that my posture was bad, so I would do 500m concentrating on rowing with my back ramrod straight. Or I would notice that I snapped my oars square at the last second, so I would do 500m focusing just on slow roll ups. I also did a couple of sections of legs only rowing.
All together, I rowed the length of the river 6 times, about 22km. My ass was quite sore by the time I finished, but I felt very satisfied with the session. Good aerobic workout and a “mindful” practice session.
Then n the afternoon, I did about 3 hours of weeding, edging and spreading mulch in the garden. I’m beat an I want a beer.
Tomorrow: Easy HM. HR cap at 150.