Back to lovely weather. Sunny, mid 50s, SW wind 5-9 mph. Enough wind to noticeably impact splits and make the boat feel heavy when heading up river, but no chop.
- Warmup with pick drill, SBR, slow roll ups and a few 20 stroke bursts at head race pace an rate.
- 2 x 500 / 500m rest at ~ 2:00 pace and ~28-30 rate.
- Both intervals through the bridge to force me to pay attention and steer at full pressure.
- Do the s-turn at head race pressure for more steering practice.
- Cool down with SBR, slow roll ups and “rowing clean”
Happy with the workout. The first 500, I cut too close to the shoal on the western side of the channel and my oar blade hit the sand bar at the catch. A bit of a fright, but I managed to recover without losing a lot of pace. The second 500 was quick because of the tail wind and I had no steering issues. Good line up and no pace impact.
I finished the second 500 on the far side of the bridge, so I started a power 20 just before the bridge on the way back and carried it through, just to keep myself on my toes. Then, when I was a 100m before the s-turn, I brought it back up to pace. I hit the right line going into the turn, but I let myself run out a bit wide coming out of the initial turn. You can see the rate popping up as I try to get back on line, then drop back down once I have my point to the exit of the turn. Coming out of the turn, I ran into a gust of wind and pushed it to keep the pace on target. I’ll have to be careful to do a better job rolling with the punches in the race to avoid burning myself out in the turns.
Tomorrow: 1 x 500, last day of taper, then load up my boat. Drop off is on Friday, when I will do a low impact paddle of the course in the afternoon. Then its race day.