Today I started adding a second “easy” session on days when I have time. The intent of these is to keep it very tame and just add some endurance meters.
I targeted 180W, which today was a bit too high.
30:00.0, 7220m, 18 spm, 180.7W, 2.1 mmol/l
You can see that there was a linear rise in HR through the session and the end lactate was 2.1mmol/l, which is higher than what I would like to see. In these sessions, I would be happier to see something around 1.5.
So, why was 180 no problem over the weekend but not today.
- Over the weekend, it was not a second session in the same day
- The temperature was lower on Saturday (65 vs 72)
- I had good airflow on Saturday, not today
- I was wearing a shirt today, not on Saturday
- I started at 173W for the first 20 minutes on Saturday, my avg for the first 10 minutes was probably 184W.
Next time I do a 30r18.
- Use a fan
- Start at 165W for the first 5 minutes, then 170W for 5, then 175 for 5, then 180W for the last 15.
We’ll see what that yields.