- L1 Pyramid workout
- Roughly 1’30” of rest per 250m rowed
- stroke rate target: 28-32
- pace target: Not really sure, maybe around 2:00
- Technique: Work on improving efficiency at high stroke rates. Try to maintain length and form. Especially keep finishes clean.
I was not feeling good about this workout. My back hurt and I debated whether it was wise to risk to row with it hurting. I’ve had mixed results, some days rowing doesn’t seem to cause any problems and other days, I feel much worse afterwards. (More about that later). I decided to give it a try and bail out if I felt too compromised.
I did a short warm up while heading through the twisty bits to the start of the good section of the river. Since I am training for head races, I eased into each interval with a rolling start, not a racing start (also a bit easier on my back).
I did the intervals by distance. This was a bit of a challenge because I wanted the 4 fields on the speedcoach for pace, HR, effective length and work per stroke. I used RIM for distance and stroke rate on the boat acceleration screen. Analyzing the data later, it looks like there is some innaccuracy in how RIM starts measuring meters because even though I rowed through the full distance by the display, the data on the speedcoach shows I cheated each interval by up to 50 meters. I think I’ll go by time delimited intervals from now on when I’m on the water.
I pounded out the first interval and, frankly, it felt awful. Well, it’s more complicated than that. I really enjoyed the feeling of getting up to speed and seeing the speedcoach dip down into the 1:50s on pace. I love the gurgling noise the boat makes when I’m going fast. I also like the skinny smoothies at higher rates. I felt more stable, and under control above 30 SPM with the longer oars and I felt like the softer shafts made the drive smoother. So, that was what dominated my thinking for the first 20 strokes. Then it hit me. The last 10 strokes really hurt. Whoops. I guess I need to be a little more conservative.
So, I backed off a bit for the 500m. That went OK. The 750m was basically the same deal. I was now struggling a bit with intestinal issues that hit pretty hard after I finished each piece. The back was feeling OK though. I was not looking forward to the 1000m.
For the first 2 intervals, I had rowed back to the start after each and rowed them downstream, but for the 1000, I rowed it in the other direction. There wasn’t much current, but there was a light breeze blowing down river and it surprised me how much slower I was going on the 1000m in the other direction. But I made it through it and it was pretty clear sailing for the rest of it.
I didn’t realized how tired I was getting, but I had a bad case of tunnel vision in the last 250m and nearly ran myself into the riverbank with some very poor steering. I had to do one of those full stops where you jam both oars in and reverse feather to avoid it.
I rowed back to the dock with feet out and tried to work on perfect finishes.
When you look at it on a pie chart it looks a lot easier than it felt.
You can see how the intervals all got shaved down a bit. Very disappointing for a completist like myself. i probably would have been close to the 2:00 target if I hadn’t been working against the head wind in the 1000m piece.
Workout Summary - media/20170822-151706-Greg Smith 20170822 0636amo.csv --|Total|-Total-|--Avg--|-Avg-|Avg-|-Avg-|-Max-|-Avg --|Dist-|-Time--|-Pace--|-Pwr-|SPM-|-HR--|-HR--|-DPS --|10478|69:33.0|03:19.2|130.5|23.7|138.4|176.0|06.3 W-|03780|15:34.0|02:03.7|267.5|29.4|158.8|176.0|08.2 R-|06699|53:59.0|04:01.8|069.6|21.1|129.5|176.0|07.2 Workout Details #-|SDist|-Split-|-SPace-|-Pwr-|SPM-|AvgHR|MaxHR|DPS- 01|00233|00:55.6|01:59.3|278.9|29.9|149.0|159.0|08.4 02|00475|01:55.1|02:01.2|274.7|30.0|152.8|165.0|08.2 03|00701|02:54.6|02:04.5|274.4|28.4|158.3|172.0|08.5 04|00962|04:09.7|02:09.8|251.3|28.8|163.9|175.0|08.0 05|00704|02:56.3|02:05.2|248.8|28.8|160.9|174.0|08.3 06|00464|01:49.3|01:57.8|289.5|30.8|160.3|176.0|08.3 07|00241|00:54.2|01:52.5|308.9|33.0|150.3|167.0|08.1
I did a lot of metrics charts.
- power and wps: pretty consistent through the workout.
- stroke rate and pace: I tried to hold 28 for the 750s and 1000. I tried to push it up to 30 or higher for the 500s and 250s
- peak force: I think it’s interesting that I was most consistent in the last 500m interval. I bet that’s a good thing. The prior 750 looks much sloppier.
- length: Very happy that my effective length was consistent as I got more tired.
The bads news was that I could barely stand up after I got back to the dock. My lower back was VERY irritated. Well to be more precise about it, the area at the top of my left glute, right around where my pelvis is. It is not very painful once I find a reasonable position, but bending over and getting up from sitting cause me problems.
Since then, I’ve been on a diet of ibuprofen and rest. I skipped yesterday’s L4 and today’s L2. I’m not sure how long this will take to heal, but I think I will avoid rowing for a few days. I’ll give the stationary bike a go to see if I can at least save a bit of aerobic fitness.