Cool, cloudy, Wind was flukey, from the WSW. Generally about 5mph, but with gusts up to 10mph.
I was originally intending to just do a steady state session, but I was in the mood to try to work on full pressure and rate technique. I wasn’t in the mood to kill myself, so I decided to do 1 minute intervals at about 26 t0 28 spm. I can do about 7 of these in in a row on my river, and then I would need to turn around. I took a bit more rest on the turn arounds.
It was basically a head wind rowing downriver (1st and 3rd set) and a tail wind rowing upriver (2nd and 4th). Since this is GPS based data, the upriver paces were probably about a couple seconds slower than actual. And the downriver ones a couple seconds faster, basically enough to counteract the wind.
I moved the footstretcher one notch to the bow and I was much more comfortable at the finish. My blade work was really mess though. I guess that would be expected for my second real outing in this boat. The slide doesn’t really have quite enough travel to the stern to me. Whenever I really got out to full extension at the catch, I was running into the stops on the slide. Things did get better as I went along and in the last set of intervals, I was getting good clearance on recovery and felt a lot smoother with the application of power during the drive.
This weekend, my focus is on yard work. Time to get all the flower beds in shape for the summer. So basically 4 hours of low intensity exercise per day. I might wear a HR strap to get an idea of what kind of aerobic benefit it has.