4 x 1k / 5′ rest (and data problem sorted for the erg)

To try to decide if I would race this sunday, I decided to do the universal predictor workout, the 4 x 1K / 5′ rest.

In the past, I have generally been able to race at a pace about 1 second faster than this workout.  I decided to go out hard and see if I could hold a 1:41 pace.

I pushed the first rep a bit too hard and paid the price in the later reps, but it all worked out OK.

Here’s the HR plot.  It shows that I have certainly worked harder in this workout in the past, but boy the reps hurt a lot.  I guess my lactate tolerance has been negatively impacted by a lack of speed work over the past few weeks.

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 10.16.01 AM

I decided to try the Concept2 ErgData app, and it worked flawlessly!  Here’s what you get in the online log if you upload from ergdata to your logbook.

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 10.02.02 AM

So, details on each rep, plus a stroke rate and pace graph for each rep.  Even better, there is a very simple csv export that I can adapt to my excel tools to track HR.  There are rumors that the log book will be enhanced to include HR on the graph.

Now I just need to convince C2 to open up the ability to upload workouts from speedcoach, crewnerd or RIM and I can really simplify my life.

So, this workout today predicts somewhere around 6:40 to 6:45.  Not the performance I was hoping for, but not horribly shabby.  I think I will race.  I think I’d regret not going.

Tomorrow:  Start of the taper.  Fletcher warmup and 4×500 at race pace.

9 thoughts on “4 x 1k / 5′ rest (and data problem sorted for the erg)

1. sanderroosendaal says:

Makes me wonder if I want to invest in ergdata again … Would need to get the connector kit for PM3. Personally I don’t care too much about getting OTW data on the C2 logbook. I do care about getting the OTE data there.

I read that ergstick is shipping. Did you order? Would be interested in a comparison ergstick+app vs ergdata. Ergstick seems more portable. Ergdata more low cost.

Also I have to trade off between investing in the erg (PM5/ergstick/ergdata) vs investing in OTW equipment.

Cool that you decided to race. Looking forward to race report.

Liked by 1 person

• gregsmith01748 says:

I did order an ergstick, but I’m not sure if it was the right decision, having seen the integration of ergdata with the logbook. The only thing that I don’t like is that I would need to hook up my iphone using the connection kit for the PM3. That conflicts with me wanting to wear my iphone on my belt for music and podcasts. Instead of spending money on a connection kit, I’d be more likely to order a PM5 and resell my PM3. Probably works out to about the same net spend.

Liked by 1 person

• stelph82 says:

I think currently the ergstick is a better option for teams/clubs due to the fact it sounds like it would work well when a team can install a stick in all their ergs, and the rowers then “log in” when its your turn on the erg, whereas ergdata and other apps are probably currently better for individuals since the cables (especially for Android phones) comparatively cheap to get and use and you can still get a lot of the same information.

I think the ergstick and its association with the rowe.rs site is probably one of the more exciting features moving ahead, interactions I have had with them suggest they really want to try and make the rowe.rs site the hub to collect data from as many places as possible, so are reaching out to NK, Oarinspired etc to try and make that happen which would be an excellent addition if it means rowing workouts can be automatically uploaded from erg/water sessions and reviewed in one place

Liked by 1 person

2. sanderroosendaal says:

I use the iphone to stream music to a Bluetooth connected speaker/radio. I don’t like to row with headplugs in. In my current setup, the phone rests on a box in the erg room, at grabbing distance from “the athlete”, and in such an angle that he can see who is calling. I’ve had a few instances where I needed to stop mid row, catch my breath, and answer an important phone call. One more reason to not want a connection kit. Buying a cheap phone on top of a connection kit would probably make the whole thing more expensive than the PM5 upgrade.

Liked by 1 person

• Richard says:

Sander I have looked at phones, there is an Android Pay as You Go phone in the UK for around £25 with Bluetooth (its says 4.0 difficult to tell if this is smart or not yet) and the right version of Android. So with the Android connector from Amazon and a printer cable it is actually cheaper cheaper than the iPhone connect cable to get Erg Data up and running.

What type of files does ErgData export? only .cvs or can it do .tcx for Strava?

Liked by 1 person

• gregsmith01748 says:

Only csv.

It exports stroke #, elapsed time, distance, pace, rate and hr. One record per stroke.

I don’t see tcx coming as an option because of the way it works. Erg data has a seamless sync function to get the workouts into the concept2 logbook. To get the csv, you have to sync the workout to the logbook, and then manually export to csv for each workout.

I have heard that they are planning to add HR statistics and plots to concept2 logbook. I suspect that concept2 probably has a vision to turn the logbook into a strava for rowing. That’s just my opinion though.

3. Richard says:

Sander the phone is the Alcatel Pixi 3.

Interesting thing will be if ErgData app (from C2) can sync and get data from the ErgStick or will it have to see Bluetooth of a PM5 only. How will ErgStick connection show up to non ErgStick apps?
    Possibility of collecting data on two apps at once? So ErgData and ErgStick apps running at the same time, could that happen?

Liked by 1 person

• gregsmith01748 says:

I don’t know about ErgStick and erg data running at the same time, it might work. Right now I have been running erg data at the same time as wahoo fitness.

I have my TIKR HR strap connected by ANT+ to the PM5, and connected by BT to the phone. I have the PM5 also connected to the phone using BT for erg data. That all works perfectly.

When I get my ErgStick, I’ll try it and let you know.