Re-evaluating objectives

Well, I started this blog post about 5 times and couldn’t even figure out what title to give it.  The bottom line is that I have to change how much time I devote to training, and thinking about training.  The good news is that I was promoted at work and my new job is an exciting new challenge.  But along with this new challenge, I think that I need to focus my energy on succeeding in my new role to an extent that I have to budget my time more carefully.

One of the challenges of my personality is that I am not one for moderation.  If I row, I want to achieve at the highest level that my physiology will allow.  Working out for the sake of heath and fitness bores me to tears.  I really live for competition and half the fun is trying to figure out how to get better.  I’m genuinely struggling with the idea of setting limits on training and then “doing my best” at competition.  It sounds dangerously like phoning it in.

Obviously this is something that I am going to have to figure out for myself.

The first decision I need to make is whether or not to compete at the CRASH-Bs this Sunday.  My race prep has been hampered by the fact that 2 of the last 4 weeks I have been traveling for business and last week, I was on vacation in Aruba (I know, life is tough, isn’t it).  But now I have 5 days to competition and I’m sure I will struggle to post a respectable time.  Part of me thinks using this week to determine a doable pace and going to the race is the best idea.  Part of me wants to just blow it off since I’m pretty sure I will be no where near PB territory and it might be my slowest race ever.

Beyond this weekend, I think I need to come up with a simple, periodized approach that limits weekday workouts to 60 minutes of gym (or water) time.  I also need to find a more efficient way to log and analyze training results.  Finally, I think I need to limit my OTW racing to a couple events per year.

It will be interesting to find the balance that keeps me challenged on the erg and in the boat, and manages the time commitment more closely.

7 thoughts on “Re-evaluating objectives

1. sanderroosendaal says:

Congratulations on the promotion. I guess it was your own free choice, so you will have to deal with the consequences yourself and advice is hard to give. 🙂

Sixty minutes on work days isn’t so bad. That’s about the volume I live on, and I honestly cannot do more because of work and other commitments. You just have to be smarter and perhaps just limit the blog writing, although I would be sorry if you did that.

I would race if I were you. It’s not too far from your home. It’s a nice distraction, and it’s amazing how little fitness one loses by just a few weeks of reduced intensity. You may even be more well rested and do a very decent time.

You can gain a lot of water speed by devoting the weekend workouts to technique.

• gregsmith01748 says:

I think I will race. And I am going into this by my own choice. That was one of things that made my post tougher to write. When I first started writing, it had a tone of being “forced” to reduce my training, which is entirely wrong. I am making concious choices and those choices have consequences. It’s really about trying to get the most out of the sport and be true to myself in the process. I agree that I will have to be more concise in blogging about training. I might go to more of a weekly roundup, if I can come up with a good way to capture the data I want on a daily basis more easily.

Liked by 1 person

2. bendredman says:

One possibility is to have someone else coach you. I had a similar choice to make (but motivated by wanting to spend more time with the kids rather than work getting busier), and ended up going with a coach I knew about who happens to use shorter workouts. However, a major benefit I hadn’t thought about is the amount of time I no longer spend thinking about training plans, worrying about target pace etc.

This who I use, who does everything via email: http://www.ps-sport.net/Personal_Training.htm
    I’m in the fastest I’ve been since having kids and almost all the workouts are either 8 or 6km and reasonably intense (so not often more than 30 minutes). 5 times a wekk.

Doesn’t really fit how I thought training should work, but that wasn’t my motivation, and it turns out it’s working for me!

Liked by 1 person

• gregsmith01748 says:

I’ve certainly seen a lot of people succeed with Paul’s coaching, and I’m not surprised that you’ve seen a boost in performance going into his plan. I saw something similar when I did Rojabo. I had some trouble moving beyond the initial plateau though.

I like the idea of getting some coaching, especially for on the water. I think it could be a time saver, and helpful.

3. DCYYZ says:

Congratulations on the promotion Greg. Does this promotion mean you have underlings? If so, delegate!
    Definitely do Crash-Bs. So what if you race relatively slowly, its still a race and the best motivation to do a 2k. race your best on the day, take a scalp or 30 and enjoy it. Best of luck with the new job.
    Dave

• gregsmith01748 says:

Thanks! I have plenty of folks on staff, but there’s a lot of the business that I have to get more familiar with before I can delegate with a lot of confidence. It’s more that I am very excited buy the opportunity and I want to find a way to devote more brain cycles to it.

Re: CRASH-Bs, I’m pretty sure that I will show up and I think I’m probably good for a 6:45 or better. Might crack the top ten, but I don’t see a PB in the cards.