Tuesday: 3 x 20′ / 1’30” rest (w/lactate)

I had a blast in Provincetown on the 4th.  I went for a walk in the morning to go collect some breakfast.  Then we lazed around the rest of the morning.  Around noontime, we wander over to a boat rental place and rented a 2 person kayak.  We spent an hour paddling around the harbor, checking out the yachts and enjoying the sunny day.  Then the walk back to the hotel, picking up some sandwiches on the way for lunch.  Later in the afternoon, we headed out again and walked all the way across town to a favorite shop of ours.  On the way back, we picked up some wine, cheese and crackers to enjoy during the fireworks.  We settled in on the deck of the hotel, and watched the fireworks over the harbor.  All together, it was over 7 miles of walking and a brilliant day.

The drive home was unpleasant.  We set out for home around 11am on Tuesday morning.  Apparently, so did everyone else on Cape Cod.  We fought through 4 hours of traffic to get off the cape, and even then, the traffic pretty heavy  the rest of the way.  We didn’t get home until well after 5pm.  I had a snack, and drink, and then went off to do a light 60 minute session.


  • 3 x 20′
  • 1:30 rest (to allow time for lactate tests)
  • target power: 185W
  • rate: 19-20

It was hot and humid.  After I finished, the temperature was 80F, and the humidity was 80%.  It was a very sweaty, and hot enough that it compromised the power I could hold with reasonable lactate levels.

The first 20 minutes was fine.  Lactate at the end was 1.9mmol/l.   I missed the start for the second interval because I was running to get a water bottle.  So, I was chasing the target power a bit.  The power for the full interval read 182W, but I missed about 15 seconds of rowing at the beginning, so I was rowing >185W for the whole interval. I also was starting to sweat up a storm and feeling a bit overheated.  At the end of the second interval, I read 3.2mmol/l.  I suspect it might have been a bad reading, but I decided to back off the power to 180W for the last 20 minutes, and push the stroke rate up to 20 to keep things under control.  It did the trick.  My HR stabilized and my lactate level dropped back to 2.2mmol/l. by the end of 60 minutes.

myimage (35)

2016-07-05 18.56.47


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s