Conditions: Warm, muggy, cloudy, wind NNE 6-8 mph (headwind going down river)
- 3 x 500m / 500m rest
- Race Pace and Rate or faster (<2:00, > 30 spm)
- Technique: Work on race starts, getting out at the catch, rowing smooth above 30 spm.
02973_|_0517_|_03:33_|_3:26.4_|_064___|_18.0_|_08.1_|_123___|_slow roll ups
Same warmup today. power 10s at r18 up to r26. Then power 20s at r28, r30, r32. I liked it.
Then I did the first 500 with a tail wind. I started in front of the Watch factory and rowed the straight section there. It’s about 650m long, so plenty long enough for my purposes. I nailed the start. The secret really seems to be to not push too far forward for the first stroke. Between the good start and the tail wind, I was looking at 1:47 after 5 stroke, and stayed in the 1:40s until around the 15th stroke. I tried to calm down and settle my rate and pace per my race plan. With the tail wind, 1:55 felt a lot like 2:00 so I settled at that pace and r30. Then it was just counting out strokes and trying to stay nice and long at the catch. I resisted the urge to up the rate and sprint over the last 20 strokes and just rowed it out. With the tail wind, I set a new PB for a 500m with a 1:50.9.
I then paddled through the s-turn, had a quick drink and set myself up for the next interval, again with a tail wind. Again I was happy with the start. I know I still can massively improve in this area, but this was pretty comfortable. Again, I was in the 1:40s after about 5 strokes, bt this time I settled to race pace more crisply. Again, I tried to stick to race rate through the whole piece and not sprint the finish. 1:53.9. Not as fast as #1, but still faster than any other 500s I’ve ever done. (Thanks, tail wind!)
I felt like it was the the right and proper thing to do to do my last 500 into the headwind. I have to admit that I was tempted to just paddle back and do it downwind. I was having fun looking at the nice fast splits. But in the end, the desire to have some fresh experience getting to the “right” pace in a headwind won the day and I did the right thing. The start went well. The boat felt much heavier and I tried to trust myself in terms of the pace. I tried to keep the same stroke as much as I could. From the RIM data, it looks like I basically did. These three acceleration and velocity plots are for a single stroke around the 20th stroke of each of the three intervals. The green lines are into the wind
The accelerations look about the same, and as I would expect, the velocity into the headwind is lower. The head wind was very close to straight on and was between 2.5 and 3.5 m/s.
Tomorrow: 2×500/500m rest